Rune Changes - Part 4 - Rune Slot Counts

Runes Rune Slot Count Runecrafting

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 J-Tal

J-Tal
  • Carbine Studios (Former)

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:45 AM

One of the biggest issues we've had with the Rune system is the amount of randomization on both Rune Slot Count and Rune Elements. In order to address the Rune Slot Count randomization issue, we are moving to a more locked slot count system where there is little to no variance in the number of Rune Slots an item can roll. The new system will set a default value for all items of the same quality. We can still override this to make certain items more appealing (such as dungeon drops) but the vast majority of items will be converted to this new system.

I'll talk more about two other ways we are addressing the RNG issues in later posts about rerolling rune elements and adding rune slots to items.

The new default breakdown for Rune Slot counts is as follows:

Good quality (Green) items from all sources will have either zero rune slots or only one slot.

Excellent quality (Blue) items from vendor, quests, and crafting will roll 2 slots.

Excellent quality items from group content will roll 3 slots.

Superb quality (Purple) items from vendors, world loot and crafting will roll 3 slots.

Superb quality items from group content will roll 4 slots.

Legendary quality (Orange) items from vendors, world loot and crafting will roll 4 slots.

Legendary quality items from group content will roll 5 slots.

Artifact quality (Pink) items will continue to roll 6 slots.

There is one notable exception: Gadgets.

Gadgets will continue to follow their current expected rollout, which is (with some exceptions):

Good quality gadgets roll zero rune slots.

Excellent and higher quality gadgets roll two rune slots.

This will not effect existing items similar to how the changes to runes of Gadgets did not effect existing items.

Because this will not affect your existing items, we have planned for the adding rune slots feature to allow players to fix existing items that are below the new thresholds (i.e. 2 slot Superb items). As part of the Add Rune Slot system, all items will be able to add up to a maximum number of total rune slots.

The breakdown for the maximum counts is as follows:

Good quality (Green) items cannot add additional rune slots.

Excellent quality (Blue) items from vendor, quests, and crafting can have a maximum of 3 rune slots.

Excellent quality items from group content can have a maximum of 4 rune slots.

Superb quality (Purple) items from vendors, world loot and crafting can have a maximum of 4 rune slots.

Superb quality items from group content can have a maximum of 5 rune slots.

Legendary quality (Orange) items from vendors, world loot and crafting can have a maximum of 6 rune slots.

Legendary quality items from group content can have a maximum of 7 rune slots.

Artifact quality (Pink) items can have a maximum of 8 rune slots.

This means that any items you currently have that are below the new thresholds (2 rune slot Superb items) will be able to add up to the new maximums to 'fix' those items. If you already have an item at or above the new maximum counts (4 rune Excellent items), your item will not be affect but you will not be able to add any additional rune slots to that item. This should naturally balance out the spread of rune slots across the different quality tiers - such that Artifact > Legendary > Superb > Excellent > Good and that you should no longer have cases where a Superb quality raid drop is worse (in terms of rune count) than a crafted Excellent quality item. We feel that these changes will keep crafted gear relevant while also keeping the value of group content rewards high. I want to highlight again that these are default values that we can adjust per individual item. When we introduce crafted items that are intended to be comparable to or better than group content rewards, we can adjust them up to the group content slot numbers very easily.

"Is that blood I see? Hmm, you organics are all so ... frail."

#2 TehAcidBaron

TehAcidBaron
  • Guests
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:55 AM

Well this be retro actively done or are we pretty much going to have to acquire these items again i wonder?

RIP Filthy Gorgeous [FG]  And Ravenous 

6/6 GA, Stalker

#3 Azurrei

Azurrei
  • Members

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

Well this be retro actively done or are we pretty much going to have to acquire these items again i wonder?

"This means that any items you currently have that are below the new thresholds (2 rune slot Superb items) will be able to add up to the new maximums to 'fix' those items."

#4 LoanWolf88

LoanWolf88
  • Members

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

The only thing I read here was Legendary Crafted items. 

• Drebble and Xath like this

LoanWolf - Engineer Tank

>Bromodo Dragons Officer<

Warbringer (Dominion)

#5 TehAcidBaron

TehAcidBaron
  • Guests
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:03 AM

"This means that any items you currently have that are below the new thresholds (2 rune slot Superb items) will be able to add up to the new maximums to 'fix' those items."

Thanks, missed that for some reason while reading through it.

RIP Filthy Gorgeous [FG]  And Ravenous 

6/6 GA, Stalker

#6 Azurrei

Azurrei
  • Members

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

The only thing I read here was Legendary Crafted items. 

I wouldnt expect to see those anytime soon :P I feel that they are definitely moving in the right direction, however, I disagree with their stance that crafted items need to be inferior to adventure/dungeon gear.  The incentive to run that content is challenge/fun, gold/xp, trash drops (dyes, amps, etc,), and a chance at purple gear - no need to add an additional incentive that crafted/reputation gear is inferior (it should be equal) - it just hurts those who don't enjoy grinding group content.  If need be, give us some crafted gear that is equal to (or better than) group content gear that is relatively expensive to craft in comparison to current items AND Bind on Account.

#7 Temptation

Temptation
  • Members

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

So just to clarify... You can only add 1 extra rune slot to purple items?  I am asking this because it is different from what was said on twitch and I want to make sure the new information correct.

#8 Graiban

Graiban
  • Members

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:19 AM

BOE(world drop) purple loot can have 4 slots. Group content(I assume dungeons, raids, adventures) can have 5. 

J-Tal will any of this make it in for drop three, or are we looking at drop four? 

#9 Temptation

Temptation
  • Members

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

BOE(world drop) purple loot can have 4 slots. Group content(I assume dungeons, raids, adventures) can have 5. 

J-Tal will any of this make it in for drop three, or are we looking at drop four? 

I understand what was said in the OP, but on the stream we were told that purple drops would be able to add 2 extra rune slots and not 1.  I just want clarification that the new information is correct and not just a typo.

#10 Turniper

Turniper
  • Members

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:48 AM

If this comes in drop 4 with the tradeskill changes coming in drop three, then I can see the prices of crafting mats going way up as people try crafting 100+ pieces of adventus gear for good slots.

Also, how will this affect the power cores that have a chance of rolling increased rune slots on crafted gear?

• Tocimus and Nike Online like this

#11 Halfthor

Halfthor
  • Members

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for the info. Is there a timeline as to when these changes will go live?

#12 Azurrei

Azurrei
  • Members

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

If this comes in drop 4 with the tradeskill changes coming in drop three, then I can see the prices of crafting mats going way up as people try crafting 100+ pieces of adventus gear for good slots.

Also, how will this affect the power cores that have a chance of rolling increased rune slots on crafted gear?

Based on the information provided by J-Tal, I think that means you can either use a dual hybrid for a chance at a third slot...or use the item that can add a third slot (for a maximum of three in total.)  In other words, dual hybrid are going to become nothing better than "equal to refined hybrids in power output, with a chance of not having to use the item needed to add a rune slot to gear." Depending on the cost and/or availability of the item needed to add rune slots, dual hybrid may lose a significant part of its value post crafting/rune changes.

#13 Turniper

Turniper
  • Members

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

Based on the information provided by J-Tal, I think that means you can either use a dual hybrid for a chance at a third slot...or use the item that can add a third slot (for a maximum of three in total.)  In other words, dual hybrid are going to become nothing better than "equal to refined hybrids in power output, with a chance of not having to use the item needed to add a rune slot to gear." Depending on the cost and/or availability of the item needed to add rune slots, dual hybrid may lose a significant part of its value post crafting/rune changes.

Dual Hybrids are going to be worthless since they offer less power output than refined cores. People wanting to get the most stats out of their gear as possible will want to use the better cores for more output and then the item/whatever to increase slots unless dual cores can be used to get you to a higher rune count which will give them a place.

#14 CRB_7ofswords

CRB_7ofswords

Lead Systems Designer

• Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

I understand what was said in the OP, but on the stream we were told that purple drops would be able to add 2 extra rune slots and not 1.  I just want clarification that the new information is correct and not just a typo.

Yep, I mis-spoke on the stream and talked about purples rather than oranges there. Purple items can only have one extra rune slot.

Sorry for the confusion!

#15 Tocimus

Tocimus
  • Members

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:20 PM

I was just about to ask this.

Are Cores being adjusted to only affect charge, or will they still add rune slots on top of the new slot counts?

#16 Miiyo

Miiyo
  • Members

Legendary gloves from dungeons are they  counted as group content or world drop? i hope they are group content aka 7 slots

#17 Soulthief

Soulthief
  • Members

Does the Eldergem vendor gear counts as group content? You need to kill the group/raid content bosses to buy it so I would say yes, but a confirmation would be nice.

#18 Azurrei

Azurrei
  • Members

Dual Hybrids are going to be worthless since they offer less power output than refined cores. People wanting to get the most stats out of their gear as possible will want to use the better cores for more output and then the item/whatever to increase slots unless dual cores can be used to get you to a higher rune count which will give them a place.

I was referring to refined hybrids, a new expert tech research item.  Current refined cores can not be used in items that use hybrid cores.  

#19 Naecabon

Naecabon
  • Members

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:33 PM

Does the Eldergem vendor gear counts as group content? You need to kill the group/raid content bosses to buy it so I would say yes, but a confirmation would be nice.

I wanted to echo this sentiment as well. Elder Gem gear may come from a "vendor" but as stated by you guys, it's meant as a mercy drop when the loot doesn't go your way on bosses, IE: it's meant to be a way to gear up for the raids alongside the other raid loot. Will this still only go to 4 max? I can understand the purps on the rep vendors, but EG stuff seems like it should have higher priority.

Naecabon
Nepenthium (US-Widow PvP) Guild Leader
nepenthium.shivtr.com

#20 PigNaBlanket

PigNaBlanket
  • Members

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

Hears complaint after complaint about gear gaps, adds more gear gaps...

PigNaBlanket - Stalker

Widow (Exile)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Runes, Rune Slot Count, Runecrafting