Photo

Normal Dungeons are Pointless

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 zmandude24

zmandude24
  • Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:09 AM

What's the point of doing normal dungeons at all?  When leveling they give minimal exp, adventures give very similar rewards while being much easier, and SotS normal is outclassed by the vet adventures in getting gear.  Even the fights on vet aren't that hard to learn so there's no need to have a normal where the only purpose seems to be to learn the fights so you can try vet, when you can almost as easily learn them on vet.  Why not multiply the experience given by them by 10 and make it so when mentoring it gives your real level's appropriate experience?  That way normal actually have a point to them.

• AliStarzza and Meit like this

#2 SlyJeff

SlyJeff
  • Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:21 AM

They aren't "pointless". They are fun. A lot of fun, in fact.

However, I do agree they should give more experience, even when mentored.

• Meit likes this

[Entity] [Exile] <The Crescent Order> | 4/7 RMT | TCO Raiding Info

Wildstar-Hub Owner | Public/Group Calendars for Event Management

Chet Awesomelaser: Spellslinger | Rythar Silverfury: Warrior | Liz Awesomelaser: Spellslinger | Chet Awesomeshot: Spellslinger

#3 Meit

Meit
  • Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:30 AM

They aren't "pointless". They are fun. A lot of fun, in fact.

However, I do agree they should give more experience, even when mentored.

Yes, what you said. I'd also add that I feel dungeons (normal) should give slightly better gear, as their groups can span up to 3-5 levels on average for people legitimately trying to run them(queue times can actually allow for level ups in between).

Buffing dungeon gear slightly would add to their longevity and make it so your 2 hour queue time in which you gained two levels was not in vain.

#4 SlyJeff

SlyJeff
  • Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:43 AM

i was thinking about this, and I wonder what would happen if dungeons rewarded gear for all different levels. Probably make the tables too big, but it wouldn't upset me at all if I got a level 35 tanking sword in a level 20 dungeon. It would just give me something to look forward to using.

• Meit likes this

Chet Awesomelaser: Spellslinger | Rythar Silverfury: Warrior | Liz Awesomelaser: Spellslinger | Chet Awesomeshot: Spellslinger

#5 SlyJeff

SlyJeff
  • Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:55 AM

It's worth noting that I stubbornly was running STL 20 when I was even in my early 40s just because I thought it was that much fun.

#6 Meit

Meit
  • Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:56 AM

i was thinking about this, and I wonder what would happen if dungeons rewarded gear for all different levels. Probably make the tables too big, but it wouldn't upset me at all if I got a level 25 tanking sword in a level 20 dungeon. It would just give me something to look forward to using.

Yeah, and they wouldn't even necessarily have to make the requirement higher; rather, just make the item itself extremely powerful for its level. They could also perhaps add solid imbuements to all of the items.

This wouldn't just fix the shallow problem at hand of people not doing dungeons while leveling. It would help fix the major problem of people hitting 50 and never seeing a dungeon at all (which happens a lot). People would be able to feel more comfortable doing veterans instead of learning every mechanic for the first time on veteran.

It's worth noting that I stubbornly was running STL 20 when I was even in my early 40s just because I thought it was that much fun.

Right? I did the same thing haha

#7 Escaflownae

Escaflownae
  • Members
  • LocationSome city next to some stuff people know about.

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

I'm thinking the only reason why'd you not want them to farm dungeons as a result of awesome xp from it is because you lack playing all of the other content in the game and enoying that. However, if the current system stays in place and the dungeons can give out 200-300% more xp then your' not changing much. You now quickly level to 50 thus helping out guilds wanting to raid and here is the best part.. you never effected thier rep gain so they still have to go back and do those quests or find alternative ways of getting that rep, IE. running dungeons and adventures. Thus helping out our queue rates and getting more people up to endgame so guilds have people to choose from. Not everone will do it so it's not like it would hender much. 

Escaflownae   ▂     PRIME DEFENSE

Courage is not the absence of fear, but the strength to do what is right in the face of it.

#8 SlyJeff

SlyJeff
  • Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

As of right now, I don't plan for my tanking alt to ever leave thayd/my housing plot.

We'll see if I stick with that. I may end up giving up after leveling too slow. But thus far I've done 15-24 :)

#9 CRB_Timetravel

CRB_Timetravel
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:50 AM

In an upcoming patch we will be (these are for normal only):

• Increasing the XP and gold rewards somewhat
  • Increasing the # of items each boss drops from 1 to 2
  • Adding first-time-clear quests to finish each dungeon and adventure that reward a piece of sweet gear.

Further out in the future, we will also be adding a level 10-ish "tutorial" style dungeon that is much easier than the others, but aimed at helping to teach players several of the predominant aspects of group PvE content in Wildstar (such as interrupt armor, moments of opportunity, and group roles).

Multiplayer Systems Lead (Expeditions, Adventures, Dungeons, Raids, Battlegrounds, Warplots)

#10 _VictoriaRachel

_VictoriaRachel
  • Members
  • LocationEngland

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

Further out in the future, we will also be adding a level 10-ish "tutorial" style dungeon that is much easier than the others, but aimed at helping to teach players several of the predominant aspects of group PvE content in Wildstar (such as interrupt armor, moments of opportunity, and group roles).

Oh now that is exciting. I am actually terrified of dungeons currently so this certainly would help get me started.

• MidnightSun likes this

Eliza Palavicz - Mordesh Stalker - Not 50...yet! - Jabbit

Luscia Caecilius - Cassian Esper - 50 - Luminai

@_VictoriaRachel

#11 Nottino

Nottino
  • Guests
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

I don't foresee this helping unless the risk is worth the reward in these. For how hard and time consuming the dungeons are in WildStar, and I'm not saying this is a bad thing, I want to feel rewarded while leveling and make them of worth. Hopefully somewhat = at least a level of exp and a couple gold.

#12 SlyJeff

SlyJeff
  • Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

Oh now that is exciting. I am actually terrified of dungeons currently so this certainly would help get me started.

If you ever want to dip your toes into a level 20 dungeon, please message me and I can set something up if we can get our schedules to line up. I can promise a tank and healer who will be patient in explaining everything you need to know.

• Adding first-time-clear quests to finish each dungeon and adventure that reward a piece of sweet gear.

First off, I knew you'd mentioned this before and I'm glad it's still in the works. This will be HUGE for me.

Any ideas of when this will drop?

Also, would level 50s be able to mentor down and get xp for doing normal dungeons?

#13 SlyJeff

SlyJeff
  • Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

FWIW, if anyone wants to dip their toes into a level 20 dungeon with a patient tank (and is exile) feel free to message me and if our schedules align, I'll set something up.

#14 mystic1

mystic1
  • Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

That's great. I think u should consider adding daily quests for normal/veteran dungeons as well. ;)

#15 SlyJeff

SlyJeff
  • Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

That's great. I think u should consider adding daily quests for normal/veteran dungeons aswell. ;)

He's already hinted that they are going to do this. :)

#16 CRB_Timetravel

CRB_Timetravel
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

Also, would level 50s be able to mentor down and get xp for doing normal dungeons?

Not very good XP, no.

Multiplayer Systems Lead (Expeditions, Adventures, Dungeons, Raids, Battlegrounds, Warplots)

#17 SlyJeff

SlyJeff
  • Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

Not very good XP, no.

Reasonable- thanks for answering :)

#18 Sephirox

Sephirox
  • Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

Not very good XP, no.

A good way would be a la XIV, give the normal xp but a huge boost for running it once a day? Maybe a bonus for once a day dungeon and adventure. Almost enough to bunp you a level and half. No matter your level ( but you are force to mentor down ) will give uppper level classes a reason to run them and in essence become better once they reach the veteran modes.

#19 SlyJeff

SlyJeff
  • Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

It's a tough balance though, because having higher level classes run it, especially 50s who have gear, even mentored down, does trivialize it.

If normal modes retained the same level of challenge for higher level toons, it would be awesome to keep running them as something "casual" when you don't want to do an adventure but don't feel like trying to PUG a veteran dungeon. But the way mentoring works right now they are pretty easy.

I had someone bring in their level 50 friend to heal for my level 20 dungeon the other day, and basically I just chain pulled the entire thing without stopping. I feel like it ruined the experience for the new guy (who said "my heart just leaped out of my chest" after we downed the first boss- haha! He had so much fun).

#20 Grymn277

Grymn277
  • Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

That's fantastic, I've been running normal SotS to supplement my gear while I'm waiting to finish my crafting set. Seems like this will smooth out the learning and gearing curve for people moving into end-game content.