Heres my feedback ramble from last night.
Theres some gameplay stuff and some interface UI stuff. Hope all these comments are helpful, mentioning the things that bugged me rather than the things that were awesome.
- Bomb carrying seems a difficult objective to do unnoticed. Very easy to get descended upon and blown up very fast, which could then snowball into quick wins for the enemy team
- It felt like sometimes the thing to do for a win was to ignore the bombs completely and never pick them up.
Just focus on trying to capture the Uplinks. Because picking up a bomb would almost always effectively hand it over to the other team to use after they quickly descended on the carrier and claimed the bomb for themselves.
But this might of just been the situation we were in undermanned vs a organised exile team.
- Attempting to bomb the enemy player team was impossible since the long duration of the bombs, intended to give enough time to get over to the enemy base, meant that the duration would always be too high at pickup to make them viable explosions in the mid field, or used as a defensive base option.
I almost think there should be a "Shorten fuse" button to deliberately reduce the bomb explosion timer to make them useable weapons to do all the cool "#Sabotage!" Devspeak things.
The downside to this might result in less base bombings. Something to weigh up anyway.
As I asked on Nexus report (Kalrell87 on twitch ). Updating the Uplink coloured icons at the top of the screen would be great to indicate their state better.
I think there needs to be 7 states for each Uplink point:
- Uncaptured - aka start of the match.
This being blank atm is perfect IMO.
- Uncaptured, but turning Dominion.
- Uncaptured, but turning Exile.
As you (Kevin) mentioned I think flashing up the colours of the teams in the boxes for these two would be great.
- Dominion, but turning Exile.
- Exile, but turning Dominion.
Again I think would be great if they started flashing the other teams colour, maybe flashing faster and faster the closer to the complete capture.
Finally obviously the last two states of the interface should be the icons fully coloured to indicate the complete capture of the objectives.
Next, bomb duration timers:
The timers seem to only appear at the top of the screen if you are the first one to pickup a bomb belonging to your faction. If you pick up a bomb the enemy drops you don't get a countdown timer for it. With so much of the bomb gameplay designed around timing the bomb drop somewhere think it should be clearer and more up front how much time is left.
Suggestion for improvements:
I think there should be timers for each of the bombs visible on the bombs themselves in the world.
ATM bomb timers feel too disconnected from the items in the world being an interface element at the top of the screen.
I think Zap's suggestion of modifying the Walatiki mask return timer is a great idea.
(Picture found on google search so beta UI but relevant still! )
Reduce the size of it, doesn't need to be as in your face as the Mask timer.
Make it only viewable to the current team who is carrying each bomb. The enemy might deliberately flee low duration bombs to be used as damage weapons if they could see the timer.
This also has the benefit of not accidentally blowing up your friends if they get too close when you run out of time, I know I killed a chua last night who was following me too closely when my bomb blew up on the way past the mines to the exile base.
Anyway I think thats all the feedback I have to share at this time!
See you ingame with the stream team later tonight!